Birchwood Spa Motel aims to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable Rotorua motel accommodation, with friendly service that exceeds their expectations, taking into consideration our responsibility to minimise our impact on our environment.
New Zealand is gifted with a stunning and diverse natural landscape, which is a key motivator for people wanting to come here. We all want to keep it that way (or make it even better), and we need your help to achieve this; not just for today or tomorrow, but for the next generation of New Zealanders and future visitors to our country.
At the end of the day, it’s about responsibility.
Responsibility in our daily business decisions and responsibility to our environment and to future generations. This is why Birchwood Spa Motel welcomes the Qualmark Responsible Tourism Operations criteria and have joined the Rotorua Sustainable Tourism Charter to assist us in sustaining a successful, profitable business without compromising the environment or our guest’s expectations. To this end, we’ve developed an environmental plan and welcome your support and feedback for this initiative.
The areas that we are working on fall into five categories:
Energy efficiency, waste management, water conservation, community and conservation.
- Replaced all light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs
- Using 100% recycled toilet paper & biodegradable rubbish bags
- Monitoring & aiming to reduce our energy consumption
- Using biodegradable, GE free, NZ made guest amenities whenever possible
- Using biodegradable and environmentally friendly cleaning products Suggesting guests and staff turn off lights, heating and appliances when they are not required
- Provide a recycling area that staff and guests are encouraged to use
- Donate used or surplus goods to local charity – we like to support the Women’s Refuge Water Conservation
- Dual flush toilets in all units
- Towel re-use agreement with guests staying more than 1 night
- Plugs provided for all sinks and baths
- Watering gardens during cooler part of the day & using soak hoses
- Planting more native species that require less watering
- Exclusively use Resene Paints – they have a strong environmental policy & product stewardship
- Monetary donations to the NZ Red Cross – includes local Breakfast in Schools project
- Monetary donations to the Coastguard
- Stephen donates time & expertise to John Paul College for extra maths tuition
- Support our children’s previous schools by way of donations of accommodation vouchers for fundraising
- Provide comprehensive information for our guests on our local natural environment and native fauna and flora
- Birchwood Spa sponsors a kiwi chick at Kiwi Encounter in Rotorua
If you and your work colleagues are looking for corporate motel accommodation in Rotorua, we can provide environmentally
friendly services for you! Contact Birchwood Spa Motel, Rotorua if you require further information.